Debbie's Open Road
If you find something that is really your passion, it'll just keep coming up in your head even when you're doing other things.
- She went to college and wanted to pursue multiple things, among them computer science and psychology.
- Could've gone into computer engineering because she was very good at it; sometimes regrets not taking that lucrative path.
- "Work is not necessarily the most satisfying thing in a person's life" so take a job that affords you freedoms to pursue other interests.
- She took some feminist studies classes and figured out that this "puzzle about women" had her completely hooked.
- Wrote her dissertation on the media's effect on women; got her Ph.D. from Yale University.
- Took a job working in the "typing banks" at MTV, then at Nickelodeon; constantly thought "what am I doing here?"
- After being inspired by Sassy magazine, she and some friends founded BUST in 1993; kept her day job to pay the rent.
- Grew readership from 500 to over 300,000 readers, went from four issues a year to six issues a year, just kept expanding.