Chrystie's Open Road
Two Pieces of Advice (0:35)
Never Thought I'd Get A Master's Degree (0:45)
I Don't Want To Do Something I Don't Feel (0:49)
It's What You're Passionate About (2:19)
Listen To Constructive Criticism (2:16)
You Got To Be Human Too (2:27)
CHRYSTIE NAEOLE, PH.D.
Special Projects Coordinator & Lecturer
Chaminade University of Honolulu
You have to feel good about what you're doing. I don't like to hear people say, 'Oh, that's just my job.'
- When she was a child, she had a curvature in her spine and had to go to physical therapy.
- Her experience as an outpatient inspired her to study to become a physical therapist herself.
- At the end of her junior year at the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa, she took a “genetics for non-science majors” class.
- She was in a population genetics lab that was studying the biomarkers of fruit flies...and she fell in love with it.
- Simultaneously, she was volunteering as a physical therapist’s aide; as graduation neared, she had to choose between the two.
- Despite having planned to go into physical therapy, she took a risk and applied for a master’s in biomedical science.
- She earned her Ph.D. in biomedical sciences, and won an Achievement Rewards for College Scientists grant for her research.
- Now she teaches undergraduate biology classes at Chaminade University of Honolulu.