Ann's Open Road
Just be ready to look at other doors. I had a lot of doors open to me that I never thought about when I was a student, and I took them. It worked out really well.
- Had always enjoyed art, and specifically the act of drawing.
- Was going to Arizona State University, studying graphic design, but felt she was "floundering," didn't feel motivated.
- Everyone around her was majoring in business, but she wanted to study something that was truly her passion.
- Decided she needed to go to art school if she wanted to really apply herself and get serious about her goals.
- Was animating for Disney, started feeling politically motivated by the Tiananmen Square protests, the Anita Hill hearings.
- Was inspired to draw a series of political cartoons; sent them to newspapers across the country.
- Liked the medium of editorial cartoons because she had always been very opinionated, saw she could express opinions through art.
- Won the Pulitzer Prize for editorial cartooning in 2001; only the second female cartoonist to do so.