Alex's Open Road
Life's way too short to do things that you hate doing, there's really no reason not to just go for it.
- Inspired by the old Irish saying, "Don't die with your music still in you."
- Grew up in California with "hippie" parents, vaguely aware of environmental issues.
- Moved to Japan with his girlfriend and started writing about environmental issues at an English-speaking magazine.
- Saw disastrous environmental crises firsthand in Asia; says his worldview was forever changed.
- Highly recommends that young people travel to different parts of the world, gain as many perspectives as possible.
- After moving back to the U.S., got tired of writing about problems instead of actively working to fix them.
- Took his own road trip to find the people and projects that had potential to change the world for the better.
- Started Worldchanging blog to showcase these innovations; eventually became the second-largest sustainability site on the Web.