Alastair's Open Road
There are no excerpts for this Leader.
Mother Jones Magazine
Experience the world. Do some other stuff...work doesn't have to be the all end all; it's not the measure of who you are as a person.
- Spent six months postgrad as a ski bum in Switzerland.
- Moved to the U.S. with no friends and no connections; painted houses for a year.
- Fell "behind" his peers career-wise but had seen much more of the world.
- Stumbled into a job in investment banking; made a good amount of money but never loved it.
- Took his savings and traveled the world for 18 more months.
- Had always been interested in literature, realized he wanted to work in publishing.
- Saw an opening for the assistant to the publisher of Mother Jones, talked his way into the job.
- Stresses the importance of taking vacations, seeing the world rather than putting all of your time and focus into work.