Model Makers, Metal and Plastic
Salary Median (2020)
Projected Job Growth (2019-2029)
Most Common Level of Education
High school diploma or equivalent
What Model Makers, Metal and Plastic Do
Set up and operate machines, such as lathes, milling and engraving machines, and jig borers to make working models of metal or plastic objects. Includes template makers.
Other Job Titles Model Makers, Metal and Plastic May Have
Metal Model Maker, Model Builder, Model Maker, Molding Technician, Pattern Finisher, Prototype Special Build
Tasks & Responsibilities May Include
- Study blueprints, drawings, and sketches to determine material dimensions, required equipment, and operations sequences.
- Inspect and test products to verify conformance to specifications, using precision measuring instruments or circuit testers.
- Drill, countersink, and ream holes in parts and assemblies for bolts, screws, and other fasteners, using power tools.
- Cut, shape, and form metal parts, using lathes, power saws, snips, power brakes and shears, files, and mallets.
- Set up and operate machines, such as lathes, drill presses, punch presses, or bandsaws, to fabricate prototypes or models.
This page includes information from theO*NET 26.1 Databaseby the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA). Used under theCC BY 4.0license. O*NET® is a trademark of USDOL/ETA.