Empathy and patience are important qualities to have if you want to be in social work. When people are going through tough times, they need people to be there for them. You have to be able to empathize in order to support and uplift them.
Salary Median (2020)
Projected Job Growth (2019-2029)
+5.4% (as fast as the average)
Roadtrip Nation Leaders in This Career
What Construction Laborers Do
Perform tasks involving physical labor at construction sites. May operate hand and power tools of all types: air hammers, earth tampers, cement mixers, small mechanical hoists, surveying and measuring equipment, and a variety of other equipment and instruments. May clean and prepare sites, dig trenches, set braces to support the sides of excavations, erect scaffolding, and clean up rubble, debris, and other waste materials. May assist other craft workers.
Other Job Titles Construction Laborers May Have
Bituminous Asphalt Technician, Construction Laborer, Construction Worker, Drop Crew Laborer, Equipment Operator (EO), Form Setter, Post Framer, Scaffolding Operator, Site Work Laborer, Toolman
How Leaders Describe a Typical Day at Work
My days are never typical. I could be doing any number of things, and be in any number of places. I do everything from cleaning toilets to payroll to driving a Marooka. Which by the way most of you have no clue what a Marooka even is. I may be digging ditches by hand, I may be seeding an area, I may sitting at a desk answering phones, I could be doing payroll, I may even be hundreds of miles from home supervising a crew or working with a construction crew driving dump trucks and running equipment.
Tasks & Responsibilities May Include
- Tend pumps, compressors, or generators to provide power for tools, machinery, or equipment or to heat or move materials, such as asphalt.
- Lubricate, clean, or repair machinery, equipment, or tools.
- Signal equipment operators to facilitate alignment, movement, or adjustment of machinery, equipment, or materials.
- Read plans, instructions, or specifications to determine work activities.
- Measure, mark, or record openings or distances to layout areas where construction work will be performed.
This page includes information from theO*NET 26.1 Databaseby the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA). Used under theCC BY 4.0license. O*NET® is a trademark of USDOL/ETA.