We have 170 members in the organization. There are many “Chiefs” in the organization and we have a para-military structure. There are clear lines drawn defining the hierarchy as seen in the organizational chart. I report directly to the Mayor. I also communicate with the members of the City Council on matters of public safety, budget, personnel issues, long term planning of organization and matters of public opinion. My job is to remove barriers so members can reach their full potential at CFD.
Salary Median (2020)
Projected Job Growth (2019-2029)
+6.1% (as fast as the average)
Roadtrip Nation Leaders in This Career
What Firefighters Do
Control and extinguish fires or respond to emergency situations where life, property, or the environment is at risk. Duties may include fire prevention, emergency medical service, hazardous material response, search and rescue, and disaster assistance.
Other Job Titles Firefighters May Have
Fire Engineer, Fire Equipment Operator, Fire Fighter, Fire Rescue Technician, Fire Technician, Firefighter, Forest Fire Suppression Specialist, Forestry Fire Technician, Hot Shot, Wildland Firefighter
How Leaders Describe a Typical Day at Work
Tasks & Responsibilities May Include
- Rescue victims from burning buildings, accident sites, and water hazards.
- Dress with equipment such as fire-resistant clothing and breathing apparatus.
- Assess fires and situations and report conditions to superiors to receive instructions, using two-way radios.
- Move toward the source of a fire, using knowledge of types of fires, construction design, building materials, and physical layout of properties.
- Respond to fire alarms and other calls for assistance, such as automobile and industrial accidents.
This page includes information from theO*NET 26.1 Databaseby the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA). Used under theCC BY 4.0license. O*NET® is a trademark of USDOL/ETA.