Civil Engineering Technologists and Technicians
Salary Median (2020)
Projected Job Growth (2019-2029)
-0.2% (little or no change)
What Civil Engineering Technologists and Technicians Do
Apply theory and principles of civil engineering in planning, designing, and overseeing construction and maintenance of structures and facilities under the direction of engineering staff or physical scientists.
Other Job Titles Civil Engineering Technologists and Technicians May Have
Civil Engineering Technician, Engineer Technician, Engineering Assistant, Engineering Technician
Tasks & Responsibilities May Include
- Calculate dimensions, square footage, profile and component specifications, and material quantities, using calculator or computer.
- Read and review project blueprints and structural specifications to determine dimensions of structure or system and material requirements.
- Draft detailed dimensional drawings and design layouts for projects to ensure conformance to specifications.
- Confer with supervisor to determine project details such as plan preparation, acceptance testing, and evaluation of field conditions.
- Analyze proposed site factors and design maps, graphs, tracings, and diagrams to illustrate findings.
This page includes information from theO*NET 26.1 Databaseby the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration (USDOL/ETA). Used under theCC BY 4.0license. O*NET® is a trademark of USDOL/ETA.