Zio's Open Road
Becoming a Teacher (1:26)
Most Important Thing (0:44)
Teaching is Life and Career (1:38)
Just Trust Yourself (1:06)
What If (1:31)
art, at risk, classroom, club, education, environment, give back, immigrant, opportunity, path, relationships, respect, risk, school, struggle, students, teacher, teaching, teenager, trust
- Growing up, she went to schools that were among the worst in the nation.
- Was raised by a single mother who immigrated from Guatemala and didn't speak much English.
- Spent her teenage years doing things she shouldn't have been doing, and getting away with them because her mother worked full-time.
- Finally decided to start getting involved; joined as many clubs as she could, one of which was the Future Teachers Club.
- One of the club advisors saw something in her, introduced her to the Golden Apple Foundation; she became one of their Scholars, started on her path to teaching.
- Acknowledges that she was one of the lucky few that turned their lives around, and she chalks that up to her teachers.
- Says that although she has a master's degrees and multiple awards, as a preschool teacher, she still has issues being taken seriously.
- Co-founder of SwaziKids International, which provides school supplies to students in Swaziland.