Zee's Open Road
Be Ready For Opportunity (0:38)
Luck and Passion (0:48)
YouTube and Criticism (0:49)
Finding What Makes You Happy (1:59)
Your Own Sound (1:02)
Poor, Lazy Overachievers
New York, NY
Public Television: Season 7
career, conformity, criticism, growing up, happiness, job, law, Malaysia, poetry, rehearsal, roller coaster ride, take your time, writing, youtube
- She grew up on a small island east of Malaysia; her father was an energy consultant, and she felt pressured to become a lawyer.
- Around age 16, she was trying to find a self-identity; she got really into music and started writing her own songs and poetry.
- Once she had a small repertoire of songs, her friend got her a gig opening for a big local band.
- Another friend told her he'd help her out if she sent him an MP3 of her music; she didn't know how to only record sound, so she filmed a video.
- She put it up on YouTube so that he could see it; when she saw it getting views and comments, she was motivated to post more.
- One of her videos, "No Christmas for Me," was featured on the YouTube homepage on her 22nd birthday.
- Suddenly, she had calls and emails flooding her inboxes; the craziest one was a letter of interest from the manager of the White Stripes.
- Says every life is a roller coaster ride; there will be low times, but if you just keep hanging on, you'll get through to the high times.