Zach's Open Road
There are no excerpts for this Leader.
Santa Barbara, CA
Indie: Indie Roadtrips
Either you become unhappy, or you do the things that make you happy.
having kids, modern dance, piano, questioning yourself, school, teaching, touring
- As a kid, he felt like becoming a musician was his "calling," especially after he saw everyone singing along at a Huey Lewis and the News concert.
- He was part of a band in high school, and all of its members happened to go to college together at UC Santa Barbara.
- In school, he started taking music classes; he didn't major in it, but he learned a lot about technique and theory.
- After college, he stuck around and got a job playing piano for the modern dance department.
- He met his wife and they decided to move back up to the Bay Area, where there were more opportunities to perform.
- When his son was born, he felt like he was suddenly an adult, but he hadn't ever had a "real job."
- He settled into teaching music at a private school, but he missed performing, so the old band-Animal Liberation Orchestra-went on tour.
- There were some major lows on that first tour, but after their friend Jack Johnson asked them to open for him, everything started falling into place.