Wendy's Open Road
San Jose Team
New York, NY
Public Television: Season 4
Don't let people get in your head. Not your parents, your sisters and brothers, not even your best friends. Be fearless.
being open, fearless, internship, lifestyle, pride, self belief, sleeping in a car
- She worked at the local radio station when she was in college; loved that the disc jockeys were all grown-up, but had a job that felt playful.
- By the time she graduated, she'd secured her first job, which she'd found in a listing in the back of a magazine.
- She spent a few years in the U.S. Virgin Islands working a minimum-wage radio job.
- Her next job was in Washington D.C. working at an oldies radio station, and she simultaneously secured a weekend job in New York.
- She'd drive between the two cities every weekend, passing exits for her parents' house and her best friend's house.
- Because she felt she had to prove herself, she refused to spend those weekends at home; instead she slept in her car.
- Today, she keeps a photo of her working at that college radio station next to a photo of her with Howard Stern, to remind herself of how far she's come.
- Says you can't let anyone get into your head, or tell you that you'll fail, because everyone has the power to succeed.