Ward's Open Road
I Got The Bug (0:35)
Don't 'What If' Yourself To Death (1:52)
The Good Kind of Fear (3:13)
The Reward (1:11)
Don't Get Roped In (0:50)
Public Television: Season 10
Chicagoland Skydiving Center
army, criminal justice, fearless, follow your heart, freedom, gravity, law enforcement, law school, manageable fear, military, questioning yourself, reward, rewards, skydiving
- After high school, he spent five years in the Army, then became a police officer.
- While he was working on the force, he put himself through law school and got his degree in criminal justice.
- Around that time, he caught the skydiving "bug."
- After his first jump, he was actually terrified, and he hated it, but his friend got him to jump again, and again.
- His instructors dangled a carrot in front of him and told him if he did 10 more jumps, he could do a freefall.
- Decided he'd take a year or two off of law enforcement; that was 16 years and 11,000 jumps ago.
- Says he thrives off of the first-time fear and excitement that he feels from his students.
- Even after 11,000 jumps, he still feels fear, but it's manageable, and he can force himself to jump because he also knows how rewarding the end result will be.