Walter's Open Road
Luck, Talent, Hard Work (1:11)
Creating A New Standard (0:56)
Passion Put To Use (0:53)
Making A Living (0:22)
The Troublemakers (0:43)
San Francisco, CA
Public Television: Season 4
Film Editor/Sound Designer
Apocalypse Now, Ghost, Julia, House of Cards
architecture, attitude, audio, boundaries, breaking the rules, childhood, clear mind, editing, format, happiness, interest, oceanography, open mind, tape recording, technology, tripod
- He grew up in Manhattan and had no connection to the film industry.
- When he was 10 or 11, he became obsessed with his tape recorder.
- He'd tape all kinds of sounds and, then he taught himself how to cut up the tapes and make his own edits.
- As he got older, he drifted away from that interest; he explored the fields of architecture and oceanography.
- One day, he saw The Seventh Seal, a film by Swedish auteur Ingmar Bergman.
- He walked out of the theater and felt floored that people had made that film; realized he could've make that film.
- Amazingly, he'd tapped back into his 11-year-old self's passion; says at that age, you know enough about yourself to have a pure, untarnished vision.
- He went to USC's film school-where he met George Lucas-and kicked off what would become an incredibly esteemed sound editing career.