Tracey's Open Road
Senior Marketing Manager
My mother was like, 'You're never going to make any money!' OK, you know, I'll figure that part out later. I may be a broke teacher, but I'll be a happy teacher, and I'll be doing so much good and it will be worth it.
- When she was growing up, math was her favorite subject, so everyone pushed her into engineering.
- She went to a college that was known for its excellent engineering program, but when she got there, she realized she hated it.
- Without telling anyone, she switched her major and started studying to become a teacher.
- When she finally told her parents she was going to be a teacher, they freaked out and told her she'd never make any money.
- Says that she always knew that if she was doing good as a teacher, she wouldn't care if she was broke.
- She spent six few years teaching, then she became a corporate trainer with AT&T.
- Now she works with the AT&T Foundry, building mutually beneficial relationships between small tech startups and AT&T.
- Says that even though it seems she's stepped away from teaching, she still gets to mentor young people, which is what she loves.