Tom's Open Road
There's a million different paths to get there, but everyone thinks there's just one when they're giving you advice.
- People have approached him to write a book about the history of his business, but he'd always wanted to talk about finding himself.
- After graduating from Brown University, he decided to defer any career plans and move to the island of Nantucket.
- He got his commercial fishing license, because that was how you made money on the island.
- At night, he'd have to wash the fish guts off the boat and out of the buckets.
- One Christmas Eve, he slipped on the dock; he laid there in the freezing cold and thought, "What the hell am I doing?"
- After that, he started buying clams from local fisherman and reselling them to local markets.
- Now that he had a feel for the local markets and their distribution, he was able to start Nantucket Nectars with a foot already in the door.
- Says no one could have ever predicted his path, so you can't limit yourself to thinking there's only one "right" way to succeed.