Syrena's Open Road
Scared of Failing (0:34)
Didn't Want To Fail (0:52)
It Paid Off (0:43)
I Have To Do That (0:54)
Leadership Through Work (0:31)
Don't Think That It Can't Happen (0:51)
New Orleans, LA
Public Television: Season 11
23, bad neighborhood, burrito joint, catering paperwork, challenge, chef, culinary school, fine dining, food, friends, learning, Liberty's Kitchen, New Orleans, restaurant, restaurants, shy, students, timid, work
- She was raised in uptown New Orleans, which she calls "one of the grimiest places."
- Growing up, she easily could've gone down a bad path, but she always chose to work and stay in school.
- Her first job was at McDonald's; she started at the bottom and worked her way up to fine dining.
- Looking back, she realizes she was always in the kitchen with her mother; that passion was always inside of her-she just had to identify it.
- Now she works at Liberty's Kitchen, a program for at-risk youth that teaches job skills through cooking.
- Her dream is to have her own restaurant where everyone who comes to eat can lick their plate clean and leave happy.
- For a long time, she thought her hard work would never pay off, but with a little bit of patience, she's been able to see her labor come to fruition.
- Says you have to get out there and get what you want: she's 23 years old and living all of her dreams because she went after them.