Susan's Open Road
Food Community (0:49)
Learning to Cook (0:40)
Process of Collaboration (1:13)
New Orleans, LA
Public Television: Season 12
advice, business, college, competition, confidence, cooking, crawfish, creative, enjoy what you're doing, experience, explore, food, foundation, New Orleans, progress, skills, strength, success, take your time, vision
- Graduated from high school, went to one year of college and got restless.
- Traveled around the U.S. to figure out what she wanted to do.
- Moved back to New Orleans and started cooking socially.
- Realized that cooking for others was the calling she'd been looking for.
- Says there's nothing better than a big crawfish boil, interacting with the people around you, hearing their stories.
- Calls cooking a "medium" she's very comfortable with, much like an artist.
- In 1993, won a James Beard Award, widely considered the highest honor in the culinary arts.
- Her New Orleans restaurant, Bayona, is widely considered to be one of the best in America.