Steve's Open Road
Music Brings You Back (0:29)
Booking Bands (1:47)
Pursue Your Passion (1:10)
St. Louis, MO
Public Television: Season 4
bad day, bands, booking bands, business, concerts, ideas, law school, lawyer, making people happy, The Grateful Dead
- At the age of 12, he worked at his grandfather's store, running the cash register and handling money.
- Around the same time, he started playing the trumpet and joining bands.
- He quickly learned that most musicians don't know how to be in charge; he realized that he could be "that guy."
- Loves music because he says no matter how terrible your day is, you can put on some music and find your center.
- When he was 17, he was part of the most popular band in St. Louis; venues would constantly approach them, but they'd already be booked.
- Since he was so involved in the city's music scene, Steve always had another band he could recommend these venues book instead.
- Before long, he had five or six bands that he was helping with booking, and then the business took off nationally.
- Says that whether or not you pursue your big ideas is up to you, but you have to make sure you aren't going to look back in regret later in life.