Sean's Open Road
The Highest Calling (0:43)
Authentically Themselves (0:32)
Fight For Change (1:30)
Small Steps (1:29)
Say Yes (1:54)
Patapsco High School and Center for the Arts
alcoholic, authentic, being alive, being open, calling, chaos, excitement, expectations, high school, impress, joyful, kids, literature, making a difference, open, opportunity, self esteem, stress, teacher, unhappy
- Awarded "National Teacher of the Year" in 2014; at age 30, he was one of the youngest winners ever.
- Grew up with an alcoholic mother; says his home life started to affect his self-esteem, his desire to learn.
- In eleventh grade, he had an AP English teacher who was "on fire for literature," made him want to start excelling again.
- Suddenly, Sean was staying up late, working his hardest to impress this teacher; says that by making him feel valued, his teacher turned his life around.
- Found he had a "gnawing discontent" with the lack of opportunities afforded to students; decided he could be the person to change that.
- Saw kids who had a ton of potential and just needed someone to push them, so he became that person.
- Says the teachers who left an impression on him were unique and authentic, so he puts forth an effort to be honest and open in the classroom.
- Believes you need to find something that makes you come alive, or find something that bothers you and work to change it.