Sarah's Open Road
Every Student Can Succeed (0:35)
Stay in the Present (0:39)
Support and Encourage (0:40)
This Is Hard, Be Strong (0:59)
Putting Yourself Out There (0:52)
Students Who Don't Want to Learn (1:53)
Senior Corps Member
Be present. Don't let the fear of the future block out the light that you could be shining today.
- Always knew that she wanted to help people, and that she liked kids, so she entered college as an education major.
- Realized she didn't want to teach the same curriculum year after year; switched her major to biology-thought she'd help people through the sciences instead.
- Eventually fell into psychology, where she had a supervisor who had participated in City Year.
- City Year is a national nonprofit that helps at-risk students improve their attendance records, class performance, and behavior.
- She applied and was accepted to the program; went directly into City Year after she graduated, has been there for two years.
- Works with a lot of students who grow up in stressful environments, are angry with their home lives and don't know how to express it.
- Says kids' initial reaction to her is often one of suspicion; they're reluctant to admit they need help, want to do everything on their own.
- Now she goes into schools with the understanding that she's fighting uphill battles, but knowing that ultimately, her work will pay off.