Santiago's Open Road
Center of the Surfing Universe (1:27)
The Present Is A Gift (0:48)
Money Is Not The Reason (1:03)
The Big Jar (1:13)
La Jolla, CA
Other: Roadtrip Nation Action Sports | FuelTV
Argentina, beach town, being alive, bus boy, California, direction, dream, follow an idea, Huntington Beach, integrity, law school, money, pebbles, priorities, risk, rocks, sand, selling out, surfing, water
- At the age of 20, he had it all: he was Argentina's surf champion and studying law in university.
- He soon realized, however, that his heart was not in his studies.
- Moved to the United States to pursue work in the center of the surf industry: Huntington Beach, California.
- He found work running surf contests and working as a busboy at a Mexican restaurant to pay the bills.
- After building up his industry knowledge and becoming partner in a small surf shop, he and his brother founded Reef in 1984.
- Reef became one of the largest surfwear companies in the world, but it was taking up the time that Santiago wanted to be spending with his young children.
- In 2005, the brothers sold the company so that they could spend more time with their families.
- Says you have to do what you love-money should not be the sole motivation; money should just be a consequence of doing what you like.