Ross' Open Road
Sunlight On Trees (0:47)
Passion Comes Within (1:06)
Take A Detour (2:29)
Vancouver, British Columbia CAN
Public Television: Season 3
depression, detour, happiness, isolation, limits, luck, olympics, painting, photography, pushing yourself, snowboarding, sports, training
- He was never an academic, so he focused on athletics, mainly surfing.
- One day, some of his surfer friends introduced him to snowboarding, and he was hooked.
- Says that snowboarding saved his life; has no idea what he'd be doing if he wasn't snowboarding.
- Won a gold medal for snowboard racing in the 1998 Winter Olympics.
- Fellow athletes had warned him that the comedown after winning a medal was brutal, but he wasn't worried about it.
- But without his focus, and with a strange amount of fame following him, he lost his way; was overextended financially, having relationship issues.
- He forayed into painting and photography, and he says rediscovering the beauty in nature helped him get back in touch with himself.
- Says if you get to a point in your life where you feel off-course, you just need to take a little detour and rediscover your path.