Robin's Open Road
There are no excerpts for this Leader.
Christchurch, Canterbury NZ
Public Television: Season 6
adventure racing, Alpine Ironman, bureaucracy, business, career, corporate job, doing it for yourself, outdoors, painting, self employed
- His advice: "Have an absolutely splendid time, for your entire life."
- Says not to get tied down by your first job, or think that's what you'll be doing for your entire life.
- He originally worked for huge, multinational companies, but was fired on four different occasions.
- Realized that his can-do attitude didn't align with the bureaucracy of a big business, so he moved to New Zealand to start his own company.
- His business was one of the first outdoor-adventure companies in New Zealand. One of the events he created and promoted-the Alpine Ironman-is largely considered the first-ever adventure race.
- After a quadruple bypass surgery left him immobilized for some time, he shifted away from business and took up painting.
- Says "life is extremely short," so you have to live for yourself and stop caring about what other people think of you.