Rick's Open Road
The Original Roadtrip
Public Television: The Original Roadtrip
National Geographic Ventures
You have to get as much information as you possibly can, look at it as thoughtfully as you possibly can, and then say, 'I gotta make a decision.' Don't hesitate; just put the pedal down and go.
english major, happiness, preparation, trends
- Growing up, Rick was passionate about marine biology.
- He originally went to Dartmouth University as a pre-med student, but he failed his first biology class.
- Ended up switching his major to English, which he says was "among one of the most interesting things [he's] ever done."
- Believes that his background as an English major prepared him for just about anything.
- Says that the twists and turns on his career path could never have been planned, yet they ultimately coalesced into a job that he loves.
- He stresses that being passionate about something doesn't mean you're going to be happy about it all times.
- His rule of thumb is: if your happiness is generally trending down, you should probably find something else to do.
- However, if your happiness is generally trending up, you should "take the bumps."