Richard's Open Road
Always Building Things (1:33)
The Present Is The Most Exciting (0:52)
There's No One Way (0:37)
It's not so much what you do; it's how you do it and what your attitude is about it.
- Growing up, he had a drafting board in his basement where he'd conceptualize model boats and airplanes.
- He always wanted to make the world a better place through the things that he built.
- Naturally, his path led him to architecture school, and from there, he "never looked back."
- He loves architecture because he believes it has the power to heighten the human perception.
- Knows he's in the right profession because it gives him pleasure to take chaos and try to give it meaning.
- Says that he's as excited about his current projects as he was 30 years ago.
- Even with his impressive portfolio, he still worries about what will happen once the next project is done, and where the next job will come from.
- He stresses that there are plenty of things you can do well, but you can't do them all; you should devote yourself to what gives you pleasure.