Rex's Open Road
Engineering to Animation (1:07)
Infinite Number of Pathways (0:24)
No Decision Is Absolute (1:37)
Monkeys Falling Out Of Trees (0:16)
Unexpected Turns (0:47)
Palo Alto, CA
Public Television: Season 4
Head of Character Animation
art, being open, Canada, engineering, listen to yourself, math, pixar, quest, safety, science, security, toy story
- He was always interested in movies; as a kid, he'd focus on his studies in math and science, but he'd make Super 8 films on the weekends.
- As a kid growing up in Canada, he never thought he'd be able to break into the film industry, so he decided to go into engineering.
- At the last minute, he was accepted into a college that taught film production.
- After trying a few different things, he settled on computer animation, which he found blended his strengths in art and engineering.
- Soon after leaving school, he got a job as an animator at PDI; while there, he started a "character development" group.
- When he heard that Toy Story was in the works, he jumped ship to go work at Pixar.
- After the film wrapped, Dreamworks called and requested he come back and expand the character group he'd started.
- He's been there for 10 years and has worked on films like Shrek, Antz, and Madagascar.