Reed's Open Road
Makes Sense To Do (0:34)
It Was Just Time (1:06)
Feels Great (0:44)
United States 2008
Los Gatos, CA
Public Television: Season 5
Africa, analytic process, computers, culture, emotional, follow through, general skills, human behavior, idea, Instinct, love, math, mathematics, movies, peace core, peace corps, rational, satisfaction, teacher, travel
- He was a math major in college, but he viewed it more as a general skill set-he never wanted to go on to teach math.
- After college, he joined the Peace Corps and taught at a high school in rural Swaziland.
- He says that more than anything, his stint in Africa gave him time to grow up and see a new part of the world.
- When he returned to America, computer programming was just picking up speed, and he decided to jump into the field.
- He got a job serving coffee in a computer company, and they'd let him take classes in their lab.
- The first product he came up with was a tool that could debug software; from there, he started his first company.
- Calls his current job as CEO of Netflix "a complete joy"; he loves that his company's service has the power to bring people happiness.
- Says that following through on your dream is much like deciding to get married-it's not a rational decision, it's an emotional love.