Randall's Open Road
Something I Need to Do (0:58)
Defining Success (0:31)
Beyond My Career (1:07)
Running a Company (1:01)
Why Not Us
Dallas, TX USA
Public Television: Why Not Us
Chairman and CEO
accounting, agriculture, at&t, broke, CEO, college, community, computers, critical thinking, decisions, excellence, finance, first generation, how people interact, job, life change, married young, people, programming, success
- Growing up, never imagined he'd become a CEO; in fact, started out in animal husbandry and agriculture.
- The son of an agricultural entrepreneur, he was encouraged to forgo college and enter the family business.
- Tried to follow his father's footsteps, but lacked aptitude and passion for it; decided to go to college instead.
- Believes college isn't right for everyone, but it was for him; exposed him to concepts he hadn't considered, like business, which he fell in love with.
- After college, went to business school and got a job at Southwestern Bell where he climbed the ranks.
- Today, knows his title screams "success," but he doesn't tie success to status; it's having a well-rounded life.
- Wouldn't be where he is without college; it gave him the ability to question what other people wanted for him and think for himself.