Ralph's Open Road
Start with character and everything else will follow.
- Always wanted to do film animation; gravitated towards Disney animation, especially the film Cinderella.
- One of his favorite toys was a hand-crank projector-he'd look at films frame by frame to better understand the process.
- Heard about CalArts' animation major when he was in sixth grade and says "that was it," locked in on that goal.
- Worked for a variety of studios before being hired by Pixar; one of his first Pixar projects was art directing Toy Story.
- Views each different film as its own "graduate course," he puts about four years worth of research and work into one subject.
- Some of his "research" is unconventional-hung out in trash dumps, on cruise ships for Wall-E.
- Says that the reward for all of the weird work he puts into a movie is seeing an audience's reaction, hearing what people think.
- Urges students to find an interest, then find out as much as they can about it; simultaneously try to experience as much of the world as possible.