Phillip's Open Road
Fellows Program Recruitment Manager
The only way to break down these barriers is through things like tech. You guys are the pioneers. You’re not the guinea pigs—you’re the astronauts.
- Grew up in Boyle Heights in a low-income family.
- He always loved school; while in high school, he did so well that he was invited to partake in a summer program at UC Berkeley.
- After that summer, he knew that he wanted to go to Berkeley, and he wanted to find a job where he could help low-income, underrepresented students like himself.
- Says without the help of his teachers and counselors, he probably wouldn’t have made it to college, let alone to Berkeley.
- While he was at Berkeley, he volunteered with youth and worked for the same summer incentive program that had impacted him as a child.
- One day, he saw a job posting for CODE2040’s student recruitment manager; he thought that was a perfect job for him, at a company that he believed in.
- Says that being in the tech world has opened his eyes to the huge disparity in privilege and representation within that sphere.
- His goal is to educate students and their families as to the massive opportunities a career in tech will afford them.