Peter's Open Road
Ashburton, Canterbury NZ
Public Television: Season 6
Kitemaker / Engineer / Inventor
Peter Lynn Kites
change the world, design, duckling, fly, kite, making a living, neighbors, small niche, world is my oyster, youth
- Says that between his arrogance of youth and the strong support of his parents, he always believed that he could change the world.
- He was transfixed by kites from an early age; says the first time he saw one, it was "like a duckling that thinks the first thing it sees is its mother."
- When he was young, he built a kite that couldn't fly, and says ever since then, he's been obsessed with building kites that work.
- Besides just building kites, he also helped innovate and popularize the sports of kite buggying and kiteboarding.
- Says he still doesn't completely understand his craft, yet he's spent the last 40 years enjoying the practice.
- People tell him that with his skills, he should've built planes, or something that would "give back" to the world.
- But his scores of happy customers would likely argue that he has, in fact, given back to the world in a fantastic way.
- Says that it doesn't matter what your passion is-"if you concentrate on it, and you do it forever, there will be a place in the world for it."