Pete's Open Road
Pete Saari Highlight (2:30)
If this world's going to going to be that tough and that challenging, the one thing I know I can do is work as hard or harder and put more time in it than anyone else will.
- He and his co-founder Mike Olson are considered pioneers in the sport of snowboarding.
- Met Mike in his junior year of college and found they shared a mutual love of snowboarding.
- Mike had been making snowboards in his shop class in high school and was determined to turn it into a living.
- He dropped out of school and ran a makeshift shop out of an elderly woman's barn; Pete stayed in school, finished college.
- After getting his degree, he joined Mike and they formed Mervin Manufacturing, named after a mutual friend.
- Most people thought they were crazy for making snowboards in 1977, when hardly anyone was familiar with the sport.
- However, they followed through on their passion, and now their brand is notorious in the rapidly growing world of snowboarding.
- Says a lot of their friends were spending their time partying and drinking, but he always had a strong work ethic.