Paul's Open Road
There are no excerpts for this Leader.
Roadtrip Nation Staff
Costa Mesa, CA
Live: Season 1
believe, changing your major, classical music, follow your gut, Following A Path, internet, jazz, losing friends, modern music, parents, USC, violin, youtube
- Started playing violin when he was very young, says it's been with him his whole life.
- Says that although it was his idea to start playing, his parents really pressured him to keep it up.
- Went USC for classical violin, but on the first day, he walked out of the practice room and into the admissions building, changed his major to jazz.
- Following this switch, he lost a lot of the support from his family and his peers in the classical school, who thought he was "just rebelling."
- Now he's known for his classical/hip-hop mashups, covering music by the likes of Kanye West, The Roots, and Kendrick Lamar.
- He'd been taught that he couldn't mix the classical techniques with modern playing, yet here he is, building a career off of that fusion.
- Says it's a challenge to survive in the entertainment business, especially for Asian-Americans, a group that is especially underrepresented.
- Luckily, he's been able to use the Internet to build a following and craft his own image without having to go through traditional channels.