Omoju's Open Road
Google.Org & UC Berkeley
Take a deep breath and tell your feet to move, and your feet will move.
- Currently a Ph.D. candidate at the University of California, Berkeley; studies human cognition-how people reason and learn.
- Grew up in Lagos, Nigeria, where they never had a constant power supply.
- Because there was no power, she didn't spend time watching TV, and she had to "invent" her play-that forces you into "maker mode."
- Always liked studying how people learn; believes the best way to educate people is by teaching them how to educate themselves.
- Says it took her a while to jump into one thing-"it was like when you go to the beach and you put your little toe in," but now she's "fully immersed."
- Huge Star Wars fan; says she honestly chose UC Berkeley so she could be closer to Skywalker Ranch.
- When she was younger, she chickened out of going to a huge conference where she could've met some of her film and computer graphics heroes.
- After that, she started taking baby steps-speaking at a computer education day, going to small conferences-and now major engagements don't intimidate her.