Misty's Open Road
Lieutenant / Assistant Chief of Police
City of Coachella Police Department
You've gotta do what scares you the most. Just find the thing that gives you a fire inside and focus on it.
- Grew up with a father who was addicted to drugs and an extremely abusive stepmother, a woman who she believed to be her mother.
- Says she got to the point where she was actually glad when her parents did drugs because "at least they left [her] alone."
- As a child, she was always trying to run away, so she had a lot of contact with law enforcement, who always tried their best to help her.
- At the age of 18, she packed up her things into a laundry basket, got into her car, and left home forever.
- Decided to enter the police academy; no one there could intimidate her after what she'd been through as a child.
- Says she went from "that laundry basket full of clothes to a really nice husband and a really nice house...it's surreal."
- In 2013, her father passed away, and shortly afterwards, she was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis.
- She initially got angry, then had a "pity party," then finally said, "I'm not going to be the victim my whole life"; now she does yoga, takes her illness one day at a time.