Mike's Open Road
San Francisco, CA
Public Television: Season 1
Maximum Rocknroll Magazine
bands, career, independent, independent music, lifestyle, money, music, punk music, travel, underground
- Never thought he'd be able to make a "career" out of punk; says he doesn't have a living but he has a life.
- Says money is not a driving factor for him, and he's never understood the American idea of "you need to find a career path when you're 18."
- Says his dad is still waiting for him to "outgrow his punk phase," kind of wishes he'd get a "real job."
- Responds to that by saying he might not be making the most money, but he's working 60 hours a week doing something he loves-that's truly a real job.
- Started writing simply because he liked it, and he figured that eventually the money would work itself out.
- Sees his work as important because he's giving coverage and exposure to bands that usually have no one writing about them.
- When he looks at friends from his college who work 40 hours a week to save for their one vacation a year, he doesn't get it.
- He, on the other hand, is constantly touring the U.S. and Europe with bands that he loves-thinks he truly has the best job.