Mike's Open Road
Looking For Something New (0:20)
Vision, Drive & Sacrifice (0:57)
Self Taught Artist (2:40)
Simplicity of the Day (0:50)
Other: Roadtrip Nation Action Sports | FuelTV
Snowboard Graphic Designer/Painter
creativity, drive, enthusiasm, high school drop out, money, perception, sacrifice, skating, snowboarding, travel, vision
- When he was 12, he saw a skateboarding demo in his neighborhood and he took up skating.
- From there, he developed a love of snowboarding, which led him to take a job as a lift operator on a mountain.
- He'd dropped out of high school in pursuit of this dream, so even when he got so poor he had to sleep in a tent, he kept going.
- Two years after moving into the mountains, he got a sponsorship from Volcom.
- An accident blew out both of his knees and he had to stay off his feet for six months; he took up painting as his new hobby.
- Was commissioned to design two snowboards, then the next year he got four jobs, the next year it was eight, etc.
- He went to Europe to continue his self-education; a French artist told him his paintings weren't art, they were cartoons.
- That comment humbled him, but also inspired him to get creative and start making his own work, rather than only working on commission.