Mike's Open Road
On Teaching (1:02)
Let Students Learn (1:46)
Kid Check (1:52)
It's About Love (1:22)
Minor Adjustments (1:21)
You don't really say, 'I am now learning.' You're experiencing stuff, and along the way, you're reflecting on it, and then you're learning.
- Realized there was a disconnect between schooling and learning; thought if he had his own school, he could reattach the two.
- Studied literature at Reed College because he liked big ideas, and he found those ideas in the books he was reading.
- Wanted to find a profession where he could share his ideas and learn from others' beliefs.
- Got his first job as a substitute high school English teacher at the age of 22.
- On his first day, he went into the teacher's lounge with huge expectations, but realized that all of the teachers were just sitting around, angry.
- Felt a sense of squandered potential; realized he needed to get out of that demoralizing environment, but continue working with kids.
- The Imagination Foundation is a nonprofit that partners with schools and camps to help kids learn through play.
- Says he's continually learning from the children he works with, and is constantly impressed with their intuition and willingness to learn.