Mike's Open Road
Let Students Learn (1:46)
On Teaching (1:02)
It's About Love (1:22)
Minor Adjustments (1:21)
Kid Check (1:52)
Culver City, CA
art, classroom, education, education system, environment, exhaustion, focus, hopeless, ideas, innovation, invent, learning, negativity, nonprofit, parents, problem solving, school, summer camp, teacher, teaching
- Realized there was a disconnect between schooling and learning; thought if he had his own school, he could reattach the two.
- Studied literature at Reed College because he liked big ideas, and he found those ideas in the books he was reading.
- Wanted to find a profession where he could share his ideas and learn from others' beliefs.
- Got his first job as a substitute high school English teacher at the age of 22.
- On his first day, he went into the teacher's lounge with huge expectations, but realized that all of the teachers were just sitting around, angry.
- Felt a sense of squandered potential; realized he needed to get out of that demoralizing environment, but continue working with kids.
- The Imagination Foundation is a nonprofit that partners with schools and camps to help kids learn through play.
- Says he's continually learning from the children he works with, and is constantly impressed with their intuition and willingness to learn.