Mike's Open Road
1000 Roads (0:12)
The Original Roadtrip
Public Television: The Original Roadtrip
VP of Programming
There's a thousand roads through life, but there's generally only a couple of right ones.
change, odd jobs
- His parents expected him to go to business school, or follow his father into the textile industry.
- Neither of those things interested him, so he dropped out of high school and took a series of odd jobs, none of which were very gratifying.
- He supported himself so that he could pursue his true hobby: watching television at night.
- Slowly realized that he was more knowledgeable and opinionated about television than most other people were.
- Started to cold call people out of the phonebook to figure out how he could break into the TV industry.
- He took a massive pay-cut to deliver mail at a television network; said he could've "dug holes" as long as a TV screen was nearby.
- Now serves as the vice president of programming for Cartoon Network.
- Tells road-trippers to "be a movement, be a revolutionary, and turn over the apple cart…a lot."