Mike's Open Road
Austin Slam Poetry
I found quickly this world of poetry and performing: this is it; this is my juice. This is what drives me.
- After school, he did what he says a lot of people do: tried odd jobs, thought about grad school, played music with his friends.
- Had an interest in writing and poetry, but had never found a community where he could pursue it until he moved to Austin.
- Decided he'd sit back and watch open mic performances for a year to learn the craft.
- Says the first time he took the leap and performed, it probably wasn't great: "the angels might not have sang."
- But after that first performance, he knew he'd found his "juice," the thing that would drive him.
- Dedicated himself to building a career and a life where he could support himself with his art.
- Says his parents didn't understand his craft; to them, his slam poetry was like "speaking martian."
- But even that added fuel to his drive; he was determined to get to a place where he'd be happy and his family would be proud of him.