Michael's Open Road
Go With What You Believe In (0:28)
Distinctive Individuals (0:31)
The World Will Conspire (0:28)
Milquetoast Existence (0:14)
Challenge Yourself (0:22)
Why Design Is Intriguing (1:01)
The Future of Design (1:55)
The Original Roadtrip
Public Television: The Original Roadtrip
Jager Dipaola Kemp
Beliefs & Faith Character Confidence Conflict Dedication Determination Experience Family Fear Fulfillment Goals Honesty Individualism Instincts Passion Risk Struggle Success Support & Encouragement Education
balance, business, competitive, design, distinction, drive, fail, frustration, future, opinions, philosophy, point of view, punk music, push yourself, reactions, scared, snowboarding, strategy, unique, wasted time
- Realized early on that he wasn't good at math, so he decided to focus on the arts.
- Largely inspired by the punk movement; his first date with his future wife was a The Clash concert.
- His father worked in a factory and his mom was a beautician, so he says they didn't really "get" his choosing not to have a set career path.
- Started Jager Di Paola Kemp design firm with his wife and another partner; got their big break designing campaigns for Burton Snowboards.
- Says his collaboration with Burton is a "once in a lifetime deal"; still stunned he gets to work with a company that "invented a culture."
- Believes that once you decide what you want to do, you have to proudly wear your work on your sleeve.
- Once you show confidence and belief in what you're doing, others will start to rally around you.
- Says that if you talk to any successful person, they have self-confidence and a unique point of view, not just a "milquetoast existence."