Michael's Open Road
DOA advice (1:00)
I Came Close to Dying (1:28)
Combining Your Paths (0:56)
Give Yourself Wings (0:57)
Inventing the Door (1:06)
Public Television: Season 12
advice, band, concerts, decision making process, family, Fears, fulfillment, happy, health, learning, mom, money, music, opportunity, passion, path, respect, sing, success, tour
- At age 22, he was touring with his band, living out of a van, crashing at the houses where they'd play.
- Was taught that he should always do the dishes when he stayed at someone's house-keeps up that belief in respect and hospitality in everything he does.
- Didn't get into music because he wanted to get rich and famous, but because he felt he had "something burning in his heart."
- As he was going into surgery for a ruptured appendix, he got a text saying that one of his songs had finally broken into the Top 20.
- Had the realization that "success" was nice, but it didn't matter if he couldn't share it with his family.
- Says his passion for music is still as strong as it was when he was that 22-year-old kid living out of a van.
- Considers himself extremely lucky to have built a profession and a life wherein he's happy most of the time.
- Says decision-making should be thought of as quantitative, not qualitative-try different things, don't be afraid to fail, and don't wait for the perfect moment.