Michael's Open Road
You Gotta Be Yourself (0:24)
Don't Be Afraid To Fail (0:45)
Intense and Naive (0:44)
The Original Roadtrip
Public Television: The Original Roadtrip
answers, business, change, conformity, create, drop out, experiments, go for it, golf, information, learn, medicine, nervous, opportunity, school, special, strength, technology, wisdom
- Grew up in Texas; came from a family of doctors.
- Went to the University of Texas and originally enrolled as a biology major, planned to go into the medical field as well.
- Quickly realized that his interests lay elsewhere; started building computers for his friends in the dorm.
- His parents never pressured him to become a doctor, but they weren't okay with him dropping out of college either.
- He dropped out without telling them; figured he could try to start his business, and if it fell through, he could go back.
- Dell sold computers directly to customers, rather than through electronic store outlets, soon became one of the biggest corporations in America.
- Stresses that you've got to be yourself, and says he could've never succeeded anywhere where he was forced to conform.
- Even now, he's told that as the CEO of a company he should learn how to golf, but he refuses to conform to that stereotype.