Michael's Open Road
You Gotta Be Yourself (0:24)
The Original Roadtrip
Public Television: The Original Roadtrip
Go for it. And when you go for it, you'll learn what you're capable of, what the potential is, where the opportunities are, but you can't be afraid to fail because that's when you learn.
conformity, drop out, golf, medicine
- Grew up in Texas; came from a family of doctors.
- Went to the University of Texas and originally enrolled as a biology major, planned to go into the medical field as well.
- Quickly realized that his interests lay elsewhere; started building computers for his friends in the dorm.
- His parents never pressured him to become a doctor, but they weren't okay with him dropping out of college either.
- He dropped out without telling them; figured he could try to start his business, and if it fell through, he could go back.
- Dell sold computers directly to customers, rather than through electronic store outlets, soon became one of the biggest corporations in America.
- Stresses that you've got to be yourself, and says he could've never succeeded anywhere where he was forced to conform.
- Even now, he's told that as the CEO of a company he should learn how to golf, but he refuses to conform to that stereotype.