Matthew's Open Road
Be around people that are supportive of what you are doing.
- Graduated from college at the top of his class.
- Was encouraged to go forward with academia, but while in school, he'd found his creative side in writing and acting.
- Was flooded with job offers after graduation, but as soon as he almost took one, something said, "This is not right."
- He wasn't sure what to do elsewise, but the job offers started slipping away the further he got from graduation.
- He felt so anxious and out of place, that he became depressed; decided that if he was still in Alabama in a year, he'd kill himself.
- Right before that deadline came up, he saved his own life by hopping on a bus and moving to New Orleans.
- During that journey and during his time living in poverty in New Orleans, he was constantly writing; his journals became his first book.
- He printed up 100 copies and sold them on the street; decided to send one copy to a publisher and they distributed his book nationwide.