Matthew's Open Road
Apply Your Skills To Your Craft (1:34)
Doing Extraordinary Things (1:12)
Prepare for Opposition (1:58)
Choosing Poverty for Dream (1:18)
Finding Your Location (1:55)
Poor, Lazy Overachievers
New Orleans, LA
Public Television: Season 7
approval, artists, crazy, depression, discipline, dreams, environment, expectation, intellect, journals, learning, poetry, preparation, psych hospital, psychology, ridiculous, skills, stereotype, structure, unconventional
- Graduated from college at the top of his class.
- Was encouraged to go forward with academia, but while in school, he'd found his creative side in writing and acting.
- Was flooded with job offers after graduation, but as soon as he almost took one, something said, "This is not right."
- He wasn't sure what to do elsewise, but the job offers started slipping away the further he got from graduation.
- He felt so anxious and out of place, that he became depressed; decided that if he was still in Alabama in a year, he'd kill himself.
- Right before that deadline came up, he saved his own life by hopping on a bus and moving to New Orleans.
- During that journey and during his time living in poverty in New Orleans, he was constantly writing; his journals became his first book.
- He printed up 100 copies and sold them on the street; decided to send one copy to a publisher and they distributed his book nationwide.