Matt's Open Road
Being A Young Person (0:32)
School Fund (0:24)
School Fund Funding (0:47)
Palo Alto, CA
The School Fund
access, action, architect, college, education, google, happy, healthy, high school, idealism, idealization, making a difference, nonprofit, open mind, problems, road block, school, taking for granted, tanzania, young people
- After he graduated from high school, he took a trip to Tanzania.
- There, he met a young man who dreamed of becoming Tanzania's president, but couldn't afford high school.
- He had a huge epiphany and realized that in the U.S., we take going to school and college for granted.
- As a result of that interaction, Matt started The School Fund, which helps connect donors with students in third-world countries.
- In 2010, he was granted an Outstanding Commitment Award grant from the Clinton Global Initiative University.
- He was hired by Google to work on their new business development team.
- Says the great thing about being a young person is that you can jump into anything without worrying about roadblocks down the line.
- Urges road-trippers to figure out what they're passionate about, and then to just dive right in.