Marylou's Open Road
There are no excerpts for this Leader.
Brisbane, Queensland AUS
Former VP of Special Projects
Warner Bros. Records
being young, black music department, insurance, naivety, Prince, relationships, Warner Bros Records
- Originally worked at an insurance company; she was miserable but she made herself "hang in there" for a year.
- Made a friend at Warner Brothers Records and told them, "keep me in mind if something opens up."
- Says it's important to have that courage to network and say, give me a chance, or else every opportunity will just blow by you.
- She was hired into the "black music" department at the record company; at the time, that was a six-person team.
- Over the years, the success of their artists, like Prince, grew her department to over sixty people.
- When Marylou was working there, Warner Bros. was the number-one black music label year after year.
- Says that when you truly invest into your career, it can put strain on other parts of your life, namely your relationships.
- Even though she made sacrifices in pursuit of her career, she says doesn't regret any of the paths she's taken.