Maria's Open Road
What Matters (0:45)
A Centerpiece of Your Life (0:31)
So Unhappy (0:32)
A Process of Things (0:36)
attitude, brain pickings, Bulgaria, career, class, college, communism, desire, flow, happiness, journalism, materialism, Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, passion, privilege, psychology, purpose, school, start up, University of Pennsylvania
- Grew up in Bulgaria; saw the end of communism and the rise of a new democracy.
- Watched as new classes emerged; was fascinated by people starting to define themselves by the wealth and "things" they accumulated.
- Went to college at the University of Pennsylvania to study this capitalist phenomenon.
- Majored in consumer psychology and worked in the campus newspaper's marketing department.
- Found that she was much more interested in the materials she was reading in the library than she was in the actual field of marketing.
- Didn't enjoy college, but says the silver lining was realizing she didn't want to be someone who simply went through life hitting certain benchmarks of "success."
- She'd started an email newsletter for her friends and coworkers that was essentially a record of the various ideas that piqued her interest.
- As more and more people started to read and enjoy her work, she realized she needed to make this publication "the centerpiece of her life."