Margarita's Open Road
Patience and Perseverance (0:38)
What Motivates Me (0:40)
Coming Up With The Idea (1:14)
advertising, challenge, contest, fulfillment, graphic design, hard work, helping people, introvert, job, journalism, motivation, nervous, opportunity, passion, practice, preparation, public speaking, push yourself, regrets, support
- Studied graphic design and journalism in college.
- Started out “doing the traditional job thing,” working as a graphic designer at radio stations and advertising agencies.
- After she was laid off from one of her jobs, she decided she’d have to get creative about what she did next.
- Had the idea to open a shop with a rotating cast of local artists and designers presenting installations.
- The idea was born out of frustrations of not having enough money to have her own shop; didn’t even know the term “pop-up” until she did some research.
- Gave out a survey and found people agreed that there weren’t enough retail spaces where they could buy from local artists; stresses the importance of doing your research.
- She started a successful Kickstarter—which raised $8,000—and won Crain’s Detroit Business’ “Big Idea” competition; used funds to start 71 Pop.
- Believes that even if you have to work a really terrible job for a while until you can do the thing you love full-time, you should do it.